Being a careers leader of an independent school is really rewarding. The students at Learning4Life-Gy are diverse which means that we need to have an individualised approach to how we work with each person.
The curriculum delivery embeds employability skills throughout which means that careers is always at the forefront. Learning4Life-GY also has a shop within Freeman Street Market so that young people can engage with enterprise activities on a weekly basis.
We are mindful that employers, further education providers and local authority officials require access to our learners. This is something that we relish in terms of exposure to a variety of opportunities in supporting their transition and progression.
Careers Education, Information Advice and Guidance makes a major contribution to preparing young people for the opportunities, responsibilities and experiences they will encounter at school, in further education and in working life. It aims to help all students make a successful transition to adulthood by:
- Supporting them to achieve their full potential
- Empowering them to plan and manage their own futures
- Providing comprehensive information on all options
- Raising aspirations
- To support inclusion by promoting equality, diversity, social mobility and challenge stereotypes
- Enabling young people to sustain employability and achieve personal and economic wellbeing throughout their lives
- Promote participation in learning
The CEIAG programme at Learning4Life-GY follows the principals of the Gatsby benchmark which sets out a framework of good practice:
- A stable and embedded programme of careers education and guidance
- Good quality information about future study options, jobs and the labour market
- Opportunities for advice and support tailored to young people’s needs
- Subject teaching linked to careers
- Several opportunities to learn from employers and employees
- Experiences of workplaces
- Opportunities to hear from representatives of FE, HE and apprenticeship providers
- Personal guidance from a professionally qualified careers adviser, at the right time.
This part of our website is to support not only our learners, but their parents and carers in accessing information which will help progress and develop our learners, their children.
If you would like to offer a work experience opportunity for our learners, please do not hesitate to contact us.
Below are links deemed useful or informative regarding careers in the local area as well as our own policy.